By: JoAnn Gillmer, Rental Services Specialist for the Portland Housing Bureau, guest contributor
Are you a landlord wondering how the new landlord/tenant laws apply to you or if you’re eligible for exemption from providing Relocation Assistance? Are you a recently or soon-to-be displaced renter wondering if you are eligible for Relocation Assistance? Even if neither of those describe you, chances are you know someone who has questions about new landlord/tenant laws.
Portland Housing Bureau’s new Rental Services Office (RSO) was created as an information resource for renters and landlords of residential properties. Through a help-line, at (503) 823-1303, the Rental Services Office staff provide technical assistance and information about Portland Renter Additional Protection (PCC 30.01.085) and related landlord/tenant subjects, such as new state-wide limits on rent increases and just-cause requirements for terminating rental agreements. While RSO staff cannot provide legal or business advice, and are not part of the law-making process, they can help community members find information and resources for a variety of subjects relating to rental housing.
Starting in July and throughout the summer Rental Services Office staff will be visiting neighborhoods, where people live and work (including on Saturdays). This outreach, called the RSO Traveling Helpdesk, will be at neighborhood libraries across the county on the following dates:
- July 6, Belmont Library, 12-2:30 pm;
- July 13, Midland Library, 10 am to 2 pm;
- July 20, Rockwood Library, 10 am to 2 pm;
- July 27, Kenton Library, 10 am to 2 pm;
- August 3, Gregory Heights Library, 12-3 pm;
- August 10, Sellwood/Moreland Library, 10 am to 2 pm;
- August 17, St. Johns Library, 10 am to 2 pm;
- August 24, Hillsdale Library, 10 am to 2 pm;
- August 31, Troutdale Library, 10 am to 2 pm;
- September 7, Central Library, 10 am to 2 pm;
- September 14, Northwest Library, 11 am to 2 pm; and,
- September 28, Capitol Hill Library, 10 am to 2 pm.
For more information about PHB’s Rental Services Office, please visit their website at: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/phb/72622 or call (503) 823-1303.