Why is Accessibility Important?
Disability is a unique identity category because, at one point or another, most people will have at least one disability. However, people with disabilities still face many barriers in our society and accessibility is often an afterthought. At SE Uplift, we believe accessibility is an integral part of inclusion efforts in our community. Planning for accessibility benefits people in the community and allows for the largest number of people to participate. For example, accessibility measures such as hybrid meetings allows older adults, people with children, and those who work full time to participate. It can also shift how we think about disability.
SE Uplift Neighborhood Coalition values providing meaningful access to all of our programs, services, and activities. If you need accommodations for an event, please email email@example.com or call (503) 232-0010 at least 48 hours before the event to let us know your access needs. You can also contact us at any time to request our materials in alternative formats or for other access needs unrelated to events. Our space is accessible via the 14, 15, 66, and 75 bus lines and has on-site parking with an accessible entrance on one floor.
Tips, Tools & FAQs
Resources & Background
- 5 Tips for Accessible Virtual/Hybrid Events
- Accessibility Tips (resource page from the Office of Community and Civic Life)
- Responding to an Accommodation Request
- Hiring an Interpreter
- Creating Hearing Inclusive Public Events
- #AccessThat – Creating Accessible Digital Content
- Celebrate Access Checklist
- SE Uplift provides communication funds to neighborhood associations and communication grants to all volunteer community groups, consider using those funds for accessibility purposes.
- SE Uplift also has limited funds available for accessibility purposes and will be distributed using our equity lens. To request funding, email the purpose, amount, match amount, and how this supports your larger inclusion-diversity-equity-accessibility strategy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Politisit is a non-profit organization that reimburses parents and other caregivers for child care costs while they attend civic engagement meetings and activities. Share this resource with your community!