By: Mireaya Medina, Communications Manager & Muz Afzal, Community Engagement Coordinator
In June, we celebrate Pride Month in honor of our LGBTQSIA+ staff, neighbors, community members and friends and family. Pride month is celebrated in June every year in honor of the 1969 Stonewall Riots in Manhattan. June encompasses a month-long series of events that celebrate Pride month with parades, workshops, movie showings, concerts, parties, picnics and more. For more information on Pride Northwest click here. SE Uplift has compiled this list of events to help neighbors explore and participate in Pride Month Events.
- This photography exhibit celebrates those who claim, reclaim and/or disrupt traditional constructs of black femininity in its many forms. The images captured mark an occasion where black women/femmes were seen, counted, loved and valued. This in and of itself is a political act.
- In order to bridge over our funding gap, Q Center is launching a Resilience Campaign to raise $25,000 by July 1st and create a more resilient Q Center. Join them at the official campaign kick-off party for Q Center’s Resilience Campaign! you’ll hear from Q Center’s Executive Director, Cameron Whitten, meet the co-chairs, build community with Q Center staff, board, and volunteers, and enjoy a free dinner provided by the food sponsor, Por Que No!
- Q Center’s Aging With Pride and SAGE Metro Portland are teaming up to bring our senior community a little fun in the sun! Join us on June 11 from 12-2 for hamburgers, hot dogs and community building!
- Cascadia paired up with Q Center, The Equi Institute, Coalition of Community Health Clinics, and STIRY to show a short film, Trans Dudes with Lady Cancer, which documents the journey of two transmasculine people, their family and communities, as they navigate breast cancer and ovarian cancer within the medical system.
- Pride at the Museum welcomes visitors of all ages for a night of Pride-inspired science demos, guest scientists, drag performances, aerial dancers, music, and complimentary admission to our featured exhibit, The Science Behind Pixar! The Empirical cafe will be open for food, snacks, and adult beverages.
- Don’t miss the 3rd Annual Portland Thorns FC Pride Night on Friday, June 21st! Come out to Providence Park to celebrate Pride Month in style and show your support for Portland Thorns FC and the LGBTQ2SIA+ community in the Pacific Northwest.
- In honor of pride month, we will be hosting a cult classic public viewing here at SE Uplift.
*For more events visit the Portland Pride Events Page by Pride Northwest.